Sunday, April 09, 2006

All chilled out

It's been a busy week and a busy weekend. Arranging events at work brings a lot of things together - when I do this sort of thing, I try to plan with military precision (I know, it's a contradiction in terms, a bit like "military intelligence") but people rely on me to get things done - and they get done, come hell or high water!;-))))

My weekend was busy for other reasons - I'm a member of the Taoist Tai Chi Society and I was involved in a Tai Chi workshop here in Stamford (UK).

It's amazing what a difference small changes to your practice can make. Just a small change in how I do my toryu's and my poor old knee went most of the day without complaining (much). In the past, I used to fence (swords, not wooden panels) and I've dislocated my kneecap twice. This meant that I could only do so many toryu's before the knee started to complain.

All that happened was that I was shown/told 2 small pieces of information. This was the "softest thing in the world" that "rides roughshod over the strongest". My determination to 'tough' things out sometimes got in the way of my practice. Small changes meant that I spent most of the day doing toryu's and I'm still OK. Very, very tired - but OK and my knee has behaved itself.

Not forcing, going with the flow - a lesson to remember.

1 comment:

ablokecalledbloke said...

I found something similar in my own Tai Chi practice, a slight change in my lower back alignment made things massively easier on my legs and my entire form flowed better.

Amazing what one small change can do!