Monday, March 27, 2006

Moving mountains

I was reading a story from Lieh-Tzu again earlier on this evening. The story was entitled 'The man who tried to move the mountains'. This story deals with a man, referred to as 'Old Fool' who decided that he didn't like having to walk around the mountains near his home and that, therefore, he would set out to move them. He recruited a small number of helpers and they started digging. A sage came to remonstrate with him, reminding him that he was barely strong enough to pull weeds from his garden and that, moreover, he was well on in years and would never complete the task. Old Fool told the sage that if he didn't finish the job his son and grandson would continue the task and so on down the generations until the task was completed. The spirits of the mountain became concerned and called in the lords of heaven who, although amused, when they saw Old Fool's determination and patience, decided to help him and moved the mountains away.

This story is all about patience and determination - the willingness to look to the long-term, to work hard, being patient, keeping on track. Too much in our modern western society is about instant gratification; wanting to be famous now, wanting our school qualifications now - looking for the easy road, the direct route that must be there to take us immediately to what we want.

In schools, colleges and even universities these days, students will, and do, say "never mind all that, what do I need to do to pass?" Not for them the true interest in the subject, the reading around the topic in hand to gain a wider understanding; "give me the answers now" they cry, so I can achieve my qualification and move on to a well-paid job, fame, fortune etc. etc.

The idea that patience and determination are good things to have seem to have been forgotten. As a society we seem to have become bound up with visions of our goals that we forget that the most important part of reaching the goals we set for ourselves is the journey we take on the way to achieving them.

Of course, the other thing we should remember as Taoists, is that as the journey progresses we may find that the original goals we started towards have changed. And this is what we miss when we look for the shortcuts, the quick routes to the end. We miss change, growth, development, chances to become one with Tao; this is why we so often find that when we have taken the short cut to our goals, after a very short period these goals no longer satisfy us and the process starts all over again.

Patience and determination - excellent virtues to have!

Tag

5 comments:

Casey Kochmer said...

to meander is to live :) every day we each move a mountain just in the steps wearing - no- impressing our journey into our loves and lives

Anonymous said...

Thats the 1st blog post in over an hour that I have read and that makes any sense.

My hobby as a kid was always computers. I was never an academic kid although managed to make my way through a top private school. The defined route for young achievers was a redbrick university. I just wasn't ready. I left school (after I had my A levels), got a part time job and hence my career in IT started. Some years later my friends were coming out of uni with drinking degrees and I had been slogging away gaining work experience to get into a big city firm. You either jump straight in with a degree or you need the experience. Luckily, one of my traits is determination and I made it to the life of stability I wanted....or so I thought.
I have dug & dug and finally moved the mountain but am unhappy with the result. Is that wrong?Sometimes I think I could lead a much more fulfilling life and a simpler one at that if I became a full time police officer instead of sitting infront of a computer all day making someone else vast sums of money. But then I think that only a very few people truely enjoy getting up every morning, going to work and earning their keep. Luckily I have a job and it's stable. So maybe I should stop moaning and get on with living... Bizarre rant. Apologies.

Casey Kochmer said...

ah i left a wonderful poetic post.. i was quite happy with it, in fact was going to work it into something else... *sigh* it looks like it didn't save, and too tired to reconstruct the simple two liner.. seems silly how something so simple can be elusive, even after you wrote it once.

just like the tao to be ever present, and yet ever elusive in the words to paint...

Little Dragon said...

Casey

Never mind - I'm not surprised you were tired if you were posting at 3.54 am!

Thanks as ever for your visit.

Casey Kochmer said...

:) yash (yah with a sigh) i caught that later... head bowed in slight blushing